Sometimes I think my brain is really awesome, it can remember around 100 kanji so that I can get 100% on my quiz the next day. It's after those quizzes though that I realize my brain is actually bad, because, I swear, the second I turn in my quiz...everything that I studied for so painfully just flies out of my ears (and a little bit out of my nose.) JUST REMEMBER BRAIN! There are final tests that I have to study for as well, and if you just remembered everything, the final tests wouldn't be so scary.
I can't remember if I talked about this already...but I have to talk about it again.
温泉 (Onsen or hotspring!!!!)
I have now been to around 10 onsens (mostly in the Kyushu area) and I just realized how differently I feel about certain things now that I've been in Japan for a while. Bascially, I am totally comfortable undressing and sitting naked in an onsen with a bunch of people I don't know. It seems quite natural now. This past weekend I went to the Kusamakura Onsen (a famous place that Natsume Soseki wrote about.) This weekend was a bit unlike previous onsen visits, because I went with my favorite Japanese person's family (mom, sister, niece) and were completely comfortable sitting naked and talking with each other. There were also a bunch of old people that made a few polite comments to me and just a whole lot of naked people and ranging in all ages. I think maybe to some people it sounds easy, but...being foreign means that a lot of people like to stare at you. Being foreign and naked is like the ultimate reason for people to stare at you. But...it's totally ok now. Japanese people start going to an onsen at suuuuuch a young age, that they don't even think twice about it. But mind you, this is all in front of people of the same sex. They can be naked in an onsen with other women-no problem, but showing their shoulders to the outside world- NO GOOD!!! It's like...you're a whore or something if you show your shoulders. (And I'm really sorry Japan, I would wear tshirts all the time, but your country is trying to kill me with this insanely hot weather...light clothing must be worn!!!)
One of the new things that I did at this onsen was sit in a 電気温泉 (electric onsen); there was a bit of electricity that went through the water and it was supposed to help with...something. It truly felt like I was being electrocuted. It was so painful. AND YET these two older ladies sat there for at least 20 min, completely enjoying it. I mean, I guess if you don't move a single muscle it's not so bad, (no really...it was so painful)
When talking with my friends parents...it was still really hard. I KNOW HOW TO SPEAK JAPANESE...at least a bit. But something about speaking with actual Japanese people...there's something really hard about it. I feel like maybe they don't understand me...or I can't understand them, so we just...make the smallest, most simple conversations. Which is so weird, because tonight, I was talking with my roommate, totally fine, in Japanese for like 30 min. Totally fine. Talking with other exchange students. Fine. EFF Japanese...what is the problem!?!?! Probably my brain is trying to boycott me.
This past weekend, there was a party in one of the exchange students rooms, and it was super fun...minus the super cheap whiskey that someone bought and had everyone take shots of. It burned. It turned into a dance party though, and we all had so much fun dancing around and with each other. I know some really good dancers!!!! It was sooo cool to watch them. At one point I had to save my friend, because something nasty was trying to latch onto him and I was SOOOO surprised because he told me I was a good dancer, and that he totally enjoyed dancing with me! I felt like it was a huuuuuuge compliment (especially since he is such a good dancer!!!) He told me that again today, and I was extremely happy. Hopefully it wasn't a one time thing...and that maybe...I don't know, I can actually dance! ...But now I'll probably be thinking about it all the time, therefore...wait...stop...RAWR
In Japan...everyone is in my way. They all walk to slow, bike to slow...GET OUT OF MY WAY. Also, I am taller than most Japanese people...therefore there is no way why I should be standing beside you and you can't see me and therefore get out of my way. UGH. It is soooo frustrating at times. Most annoying though is that they walk at a snails pace at all times. Move faster...please and thank you. Everything is just so small and narrow and so squished together that I sometimes just want to twirl around in a circle with my arms all spread out to create a physical bubble for myself to exist in.
In conclusion...Dear brain, please remember everything that you have learned over the next few weeks. It's going to get very busy for me!! Final report of dooooom due in a month!!! :/
No comments:
Post a Comment