Sunday, January 17, 2010

Today and some! 】》】>≫>】》》

Two part blog: 1st about my day today, 2nd about things Japan is doing right...and wrong...things that I miss, etc, etc.

So today I woke up somewhat dreading my day. I had to interview a Japanese class about a topic that I had picked before Christmas. Being the person that I am, the obvious choice was to interview about Hayao Miyazaki and Ghibli movies (Totoro, Princess Mononoke...etc). I think that it is a SUPER fun topic and should be discussed at all times, but when I told my teacher my topic she responded by saying, "Don't be surprised if many Japanese have nothing to say about it."

Really? I feel like every day I see some sort of object that is has some character from one of the Ghibli movies on it. These people MUST have something to say about them.

Well...damn...my teacher was right. Maybe Japanese people have just grown up way faster than I have; have already sold part of their souls for the 'real world'. Whatever it is, most of them just weren't excited. My impression of some of them was that they just didn't really care about anything though, and they thought this whole idea of "having the international students interview us" as a waste of time. I am right with you! I would must rather just have a conversation with these people and skip this whole "interview" business all together.

This was the second time that my class had worked together with this class and...even though I had talked to some of these people for a while in the previous class, they were still so hesitant to say anything to me. I am the one that is learning their language, they should be making the effort to get ME to talk to them, not the other way around.

Which brings me to the greatest anger/pissed off feeling I have had towards Japanese people to date. I was talking with this group of guys, and after the interview they asked me how I had come to watch Ghibli movies. I said, "Oh, my best friends mom is Japanese."

They all looked at each other and then asked, "Well...what is your friend's mom's name?"

"Uh...Teresa."

"Thaaaaat's not a Japanese name..."

I looked up at them, incredulously, like 'Uh...duh, of course it isn't.' and then smiled, thinking I could explain to them why she doesn't have a Japanese name.

"Well it's because she's," I began, but then realized I didn't know the Japanese word for 'adopted'. So I said it in English and they just looked at me. "Uh, you know, she was born in Japan, but she has always lived in America...and she uh...doesn't know who her real parents are."

And they laughed. "Ahaha, she doesn't KNOW?!?"

Yeah...she doesn't know, and you three are idiots. Stupid, stick me with the next group of people...annoying.

I don't like doing things like this...in English or Japanese, because then you are stuck with people who just aren't enthusiastic and other people who are just idiots. I love Ghibli movies, I could talk about them for a really long time, but only to people who will get even a little bit excited with me. Else it ruins all the fun and who likes to be a fun ruiner?

So after the class I kinda stalked off and made sure I got warm yummy ramen for lunch. Then my stomach was satisfied and the sun was shining, so even though it bothered me at the time, all is well now.

Things I like about Japan that I don't see in Montana:
1. They have hot drinks and cold drinks in the conbini. I really, really like this hot lemon drink in the morning. It is just so soothing and tasty and warm. Perfect after a chilly bike ride!
2. Toilet seats are warm when using most western style toilets. It's so nice to sit on a warm seat, that I sometimes think about just...sitting on the seat for a while...BUT I DON'T. Cold toilet seat is so not fun. Japan...gold star for this one!
3. How they make a parking lots by stacking cars on top of each other...essentially. A car will be parked on this metal thing, the driver and other people will get out, and then the machine rotates the car around till it finds this little space to put your car. Improved version of a parking garage.
4. Bike locks in Japan do not have to be hooked to anything. There is just this little device that when you take your key out, it locks the back tire from moving. Brilliant!
5. All the trains and subways really are an amazing thing. Especially in Tokyo. Mostly always on time, get you where you need to be...as long as you know where you are going. Kinda confusing if you have no idea...but it's easy enough to figure out. OH and the lady that helps you buy your ticket, because you look up and just see a bunch of Kanji, so she politely asks where you need to go, you say it, then she says, "Ah, 540 yen please!"
6. The Engrish. Brilliant, fantastic, best thing ever. Sometimes it can be so cute...and funny, and cute.
7. MIKAN: I love these things, kinda like an orange, more sized like a tangerine, ultimately tasty and perfect for that little extra something after a meal.
8. Taiyaki: Yum of my life. Especially this time of year when it's kinda cold.
9. I should have so many more things...but I can't seem to remember anything else right now.

Negatives:
-I REALLY WANT TO BE IN A COUNTRY, THAT HAS AT LEAST TWO LANES FOR CARS AND A DECENT SIDEWALK ON BOTH SIDES. Is that really too much to ask for?
-I don't want to have to spend a million dollars on fresh fruit and vegetables.
-I want to be able to ride my bike without thinking that this could be my last day on earth, because some car just pops out of nowhere and try to hit me.
-A dryer would be nice for when the rainy season hits...
-I would like to be able to throw away my garbage like America. I am all for sorting the pet bottles and cans, but what about this shaving cream container? WHERE DOES THAT GO?!?! I just want to throw it away!!!!! Get it out of my life! It is empty!!!
-More friends with cars...then I could take advantage of my year without one and have them carpool me everywhere.
-The lack of wi-fi in this technologically advanced country is also...lame.


All I want right now, is an Idaho potato with cheddar cheese and sour cream. Ooo or nachos. I live for Hellroaring Nachos AND I DON'T GET ANY THIS YEAR.

Oh and something else that was said to me today...this said by more people I had to interview.

"You know KK, you're Totoro-poi"

"What...why??"

"Because you're cute...and...uh...pretty?"

"...Totoro isn't pretty."

"Hmm...well, you're still totoro-poi."

And I just don't know how to handle that.

FIN!

1 comment:

  1. I remember interviewing a class about topics and the teacher discouraged me on mine...so I picked a different one. But that's really lame that no one was excited about Ghibli movies! Everyone I met seemed to love them, maybe not to the extent you and I do, but they were interested. I was also rather annoyed with how much I had to speak to actually get a response from people. We are learning the language, HELP US. D:<

    Also, that hot lemon drink is MY FAVORITE TOO. I miss vending machines all over the place. Warm toilet seats are amazing as well. And yes, I was equally impressed by the bike lock AND the built in light! So thoughtful!

    OMG, SIDEWALKLESS ROADS SUCK. And riding a bike is dangerous...please be careful! :x

    ReplyDelete