Sunday, November 29, 2009

Title, Title, Title...nai.

Well today I had to go to every place in Kumamoto that needed my money for some reason or another. "Please pay your rent!" "Please pay for your insurance!" "PLEASE pay for the rental futon that we can't take back from you even if you don't pay it, but PLEASE DO THAT NOW!" You know what I have to say to that?!?!?!

GIVE ME THE INTERNET THAT YOU SAID WOULD BE AVAILABLE A MONTH AGO. I am not pleased with the internet situation...to say the least. Especially since they promised me LAST week that there would be a form to fill out so we could get internet by next week. Lies Lies LIES!!!

Last week was quite interesting for several reasons:

1. The first was that I had the lamest excuse of a health exam in my entire life. Let me explain. So I go to my early class on Thursday and tell the teacher that me and the rest of the ryugakusei (foreign exchange students) need to leave by nine in order to be on time for the "health exam". The teacher kinda laughs and says "Well, come back if you finish your exam early" And I'm thinking...no way will this thing take less than an hour...so I will not be seeing you again this week!!! RUN AWAY.

So I get there, right on time, and stand in line, getting out all my necessary forms/my pee pole. After I check in they tell me to go and get an x-ray. I remember them clearly stating that there was no x-ray machine in the health clinic on campus...so I am kinda wondering where they are trying to lead me to. Turns out it is the sketchy 70's style bus that they have pulled up out front...lovely. So I get in line for that too, and have some crazy looking doctor pointing at my X-ray form and saying "Mite, Yonde" (Look, Read) before it is finally my turn on the bus. Suprisingly I see one of the international office workers and she kinda smiles at me like "I reaaaaaaally don't want to be doing this right now" But kindly tells me to take off my clothes. Then everyone gets all frantic because they don't know where number 25 is (I was 27) but then they eventually found her. When it was my turn to get the x-ray, I go in there, and the doctor says, "Nihongo ga wakaru? (Do you understand Japanese?)" So of course I tell him yes and he just pushes me against the machine, pins my shoulders to the thing and then tells me to put my feet closer...then DONE. I wondered whether or not he really took the thing, because it honestly took only 5 seconds...and there was none of that metal/x-ray protection stuff to put on.

So dazed, and confused I walk out of the hippy bus and off to the next series of tests. Turn out to be the height/weight/blood pressure tests. The way that your height is measured is by standing on this machine and something comes and smacks you on your head. BAM, that is your height. Everyone was about an inch shorter than they've ever been. I didn't even look at my weight, because I don't know what it means...since America is the only country that used pounds!!! And they told me that my blood pressure was daijoubu, so that's good.

The equally best part about this entire thing was the last doctor. Usually at the end of a health exam, you will get your heart, ears, eyes, etc checked...even if it is really basic. Well the doctor did not have a stethoscope and when he pulled down my eyelids he said, "Well, I don't think you have anemia...and I think you're healthy!"

OMG, I could have told you that...I should be the doctor!!!

And of course the entire thing took only 40min, so I had to skip the rest of my first class. It was necessary.

2. I had a TERRIFIC Thanksgiving with all my Kumamoto Familiy/Friends. They all made such tasty food and I was introduced to a new love...with is kimchi, tuna, mayo, mix and go! It is so tasty. I renamed it KK.

3. I had a fun afternoon with Yudai, especially when he went to open the door for me, I saw some other people that were going out of the building, so I waited for them. Yudai thought it would be awkward to hold the door for him, so ended up totally hitting the old guy with the door. AND he definitely made some sort of noise as he was hit. It was soooo funny!

4. I WENT AND SAW NEW MOON AND I HAVE TO GO AND SEE IT AGAIN!!!! Especially since for whatever reason...I get a discount at the theater for being foreign AND a student. Awesome. The thing is...I was watching Twilight with some friends, the day before New Moon came out...and after watching the movie I HAD to go downtown to buy the first two books in English, even though I have them at home...in America...and where they are so much cheaper. Dumb...but again, totally necessary. Maybe I will have to buy the last2 before long...because I read like a monster. I go through books WAAAAY too fast.

*End of fun things that happened last week*

This week I am going to Mt. Aso, which is a volcano. I am helping a bunch of middle school students learn about nature and such...in English. Last I checked, I didn't know Japanese middle schoolers could speak English. I feel like this is one of those times that it is a good thing that I am from Montana, and I know about nature...and nature...things. Haha. I would word that better but I had a lack of sleep last night because I was studying for a million quizzes that I had to take today in order to go on this trip. And I get payed for helping them. Awesome. Which is good since Christmas is just around the corner, AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO GET MY FRIENDS...because it seems to be the hardest thing in the world for me to buy presents for people. Don't know why...but it's true.

Yesterday, as I was standing, figuring out what to do, when this crazy looking Japanese guy rode past saying,
"Welcome to Japan! I love peace! I'm like John Lennon! *peace sign*" And then he just kept biking away. I think my teacher called that "atama ga okashii" Hehehehe. Love it.

I miss Egg Nog...and I would like some sent to me/would like to be informed if I can buy it somewhere!!!!!!

Also all the leaves here are really beautiful right now. They are finally changing colors!!! And it is so beautiful. I think I have taken a million pictures of the leaves. I am becoming exactly like my Grandma. HI GRANDMA!!!

And I think that is it!!! Miss everyone!!!! <3

Oh and the French rock because they made crepes yesterday. Banana and Chocolate...yum!!!

2 comments:

  1. I totally skipped that health exam when I was there. They were like "take it!" and I was like "I took one before I came" and they were like "...kay"

    Today in class, we were talking about how in Japan, in the mountains, hikers are supposed to say hello to one another, and I was like "Isn't that normal in America too?" and everyone was like "NOPE"

    ...I like your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU MET JOHN LENNON?! We met him too! Multiple times...

    Haha, the 70's style bus. I remember that. I was so scared but I was in the bus with my international friend so when we had to strip, I wasn't as nervous as I thought I was going to be. That same friend went to Mt. Aso and taught kids too!

    Glad to hear things are going well! Keep updating! I LOVE READING.

    ReplyDelete