I have decided that taking a break right now would be a good idea. My eyes have started to go cross-eyed from looking at all the kanji I am supposed to be learning. I don't think it helps either that I am sooooo sleepy right now. Something about eating tasty food makes me want to take a nap. Today I ate okonomiyaki, which is tasty, tasty. You're going to have to google/wiki what okonomiyaki is, because I have a major problem explaining things...in English or Japanese.
And my computer cord is driving me NUTS because it will not stay plugged in!!! How is taking a break from looking at all that kanji supposed to help if I can't see my stupid computer screen!?!?! It is being really mendoksai right now...
I have had another very successful weekend. I decided to go to Yokohama, which is near Tokyo, but better. It was Oktober fest...which is basically this "celebrate Germany and drink" event. I randomly decided to go because...actually I don't know why I went, but it was soooo fun and totally worth it. On the first day I was there, I ate lots of tasty food, relaxed, ate more tasty food, and then became so full that when Jamie and I were walking back to his place we had to take breaks every now and then. That is a lot of food to be ingested.
Then Saturday was the festival...it was super fun! I met some of Jamie's friends from his school/program...whatever he's doing, and they were great fun! What is not fun though is being a girl. Because if you are a girl, you have to wait for freaking ever to use the bathroom! You can go through the guys line, twice, even three times before you even hit the entrance to the girls bathroom. IT IS SOOO ANNOYING! Let's pick up the pace people...
Sunday was then a trip to the Ueno Zoo!!! Unfortunately there is no Giant Panda anymore ( I guess that was one of the main attractions) and so I had to entertain myself with puking gorillas. That wasn't the only thing there, but it is a very memorable part of the adveture. I think my favorite part was the Children's World, where you were able to pet the pigmy goats and hold a chicken. All of this I did with as much or more excitement than the bajillion children that were also there. I also made friends with this little girl. While I was petting a goat, she kinda appeared behind me, not sure if she should pet the goat or run away crying. Then she saw I was petting it and not crying and so I guess decided to hang around me, because that was the safest/best action. She was sooo dang cute.
I have now been in Japan for three full weeks now...the longest I've been in Japan ever. So far so good, there is really nothing that I can complain about, though there is also not really anything that is super excting. Except random excapades to Yokohama; those are ALWAYS fun.
One of my friends asked me if Japan is all I had expected it to be. I kinda thought about it, and I don't know if I had any expectations for Japan itself, just of me being in Japan. ...I don't even know if that makes sense. I just want to be here, have fun, study the nihongo (even if it is sooo difficult) and yeah, something like that.
Being abroad is such an exciting experience! Yeah, it has it's ups and downs, and those can be more extreme than when you're back home in a more comfortable enviroment, but it's amazing. You can't experience amazing things without having a few bad things happen. THAT IS WHY IF YOU ARE SAYING THAT YOU WANT TO GO HOME...I think you are very lame.
Being here is hard, but it's fun too. You just have to smile and go with it. I have gone through so maaaaany seconds thinking, "Well...there was another conversation in Japanese that I have no idea what they were talking about!" And it sucks, BUT the next day someone will ask me what my hobby is and I can reply without even thinking about it. It also helps to have friends to complain to about all the lame things that Japan tries to put me through. (Yes Higo bank...I am talking about you!!) Bascially Japan creates a tug-a-war of emotions and experiences.
I have a new favorite lotion. It is called "Happy time" and it is awesome. The internet in the library is EXTREMELY slow. Everything about Japanese television is sooo funny. I can't take it seriously even for a second. I want snow...or at least some cold weather!!!! How do these people not sweat? Also I would like some chocolate...yum. I cannot have any more conversation with Jamie on Thursday, else one of us will probably end up in the other person's city.
AW! This weekend was so much fun!
ReplyDeleteI definitely spent nights of not sleeping in Kumamoto, staying up all night at Joyful, drinking the gross coffee and doing homework until morning, and then going to class. The results that you'll get are definitely worth all the trouble that you will go through, though.
Yeah, we probably shouldn't talk on Thursdays. But this weekend I'm going to Gotemba, so we (probably) don't have to worry about either of us flitzing off.
ZOO! OKTOBERFEST! YES
I'm glad you have such a positive attitude about being in Japan!! I wish I could have had a better outlook for the whole year. Although in the beginning, it was amazing. Who am I kidding? Now that I am home I can see how amazing it was for me.
ReplyDeleteSOAK IT UP, KK. SOAK IT ALLLLLL UP!!!
Higo Bank = Mean. :( "FILL OUT THIS FORM PERFECTLY. YOU DID IT WRONG. DO IT AGAIN. DO IT AGAIN. WRONG. AGAIN." One of my friends spent half the day in the bank trying to fill out the damn form for a bank account.